Dampness is harmful to your home in many different ways. First of all, dampness may occur due to a water leak in your home, which could lead to water damage to your walls due to rising damp conditions, not to mention that it can damage paint and plaster surfaces. Excessively damp places can also cause several health implications in humans, due to the growth of mould and fungi in damp places. This mostly happens through their spores, which is how they can propagate so quickly. Spores that are accidentally inhaled (they are tiny enough to not to be seen by the naked eye) can trigger allergic reactions in most people. Due to the above reasons, you must look into ways in which you can safely and effectively get rid of mould and mildew growth in your home, particularly if it is already affected by rising damp and other types of water damage. After all, who wants to get sick every other week due to not taking care of their own home?
Reduce Dampness Levels – Mould, mildew and fungi will only thrive in specific conditions, which include damp, warm places without much sunlight. Ensuring that one or two of these conditions are not satisfied will severely limit their expansion, and you might even be able to eradicate them completely without doing anything else. The most important factor for mould growth is definitely dampness, so keeping your attic and walls dry throughout the year can be extremely beneficial.
Check for Water Leaks and Deposits – Damp conditions may be triggered by water leaks inside your home or even due to excessive collection of water in constricted spaces. Look into ways to get rid of such issues, and if they seem to persist, consider calling some waterproofing contractors to solve the issue entirely.
Waterproof the Worst Hit Areas – Areas with a lot of mould growth are likely to be the places with the highest dampness levels in your home. Look into waterproofing these areas as quickly as you can to prevent more unnecessary water damage, which will eventually lead to even more mould.
Clean Up Visible Mould Traces – While roof waterproofing may help you with preventing water from leaking again into your home, this doesn’t automatically get rid of existing mould. To do that, you need to take action and scrub the affected areas by yourself. A mixture of water and detergent or water and bleaching powder work extremely well in removing mould from most areas, including tile grout lines.
Spray Antimicrobial Solutions After Clean-up – Removing mould will only get rid of it temporarily, as it will easily start growing again if suitable conditions still prevail. To avoid this, remember to spray some antimicrobial solution after cleaning-up an area from mould growths. This type of sprays can be found in almost all stores and supermarkets, and it is not that expensive either.